Every summer, AIA Cleveland goes to the beach! The event combines volleyball and sand castle construction to present a unique opportunity for Cleveland architects and designers to engage with the public on one of Cleveland’s premier beaches. Register your team for what will be a day to be remembered! All are welcome to this family-friendly event, generously hosted by Cleveland Metroparks. (Individuals and teams wishing to compete must pre-register.)
Registration Now Open! REGISTER HERE
Share our Facebook Event Page! BEACH DAY FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE
Preparing for Beach Day?
See the competition rules and proper sand castle building techniques below:
1. Start on a Hard Pack, no soft sand foundations.
2. Water + Sand = True Sand Castle Love
3. Masonry Tools are Extremely Helpful, So are Large Clay Carving Tools
4. Video Tutorial: Sandcastle from Start to Finish
5. Video Tutorial: How to Make an Arch
1. Food/Drink: Water will be Available; as will Concessions and Food Trucks
2. Coolers: Encouraged, but No Glass on the Beach (or Alcohol outside the beer tent)
3. Sunburns: Shade Tents and Sunscreen!
4. Radios: Set Your own Mood
Saturday, August 6th, 2016
8:00AM: Sand Castle Build Begins
10:00AM: Volleyball Tournament Begins
1:00PM: Public Voting Begins
3:00PM: Parade of Castles, Celebrity Jury
4:00PM: Championship Volleyball Game, Awards Presentation
Interested in Beach Day 2016? Please contact:
Wayne Mortensen, AIA
AIA Cleveland Director of Community Outreach